Student loan queries

Assalamu alaykum,

I have been offered a a job as a customer service advisor, my concern is that will my wage be permissible? My role as I understand it is to help students who applied for student loan to see the progress and advise them regarding their loan. I don’t work for student finance directly, I work for a agency on their behalf.

Wasalam

May Allah bless you,

Please provide details of what you will be doing as an advisor.

Kind regards

Assalaamu alaykum warahamuttahi wabarakat brother,

JazakhAllahu khairan for getting back to me.

BarrakAllahu feekum
Yasmin

Wasalam

Thanks for the info.

First of all, in my opinion student finance is not permissible from a shariah perspective. However, based on need of the community, it can be tolerated in some cases until there is a more suited halal alternative. The permission cannot be extended to beyond the taking of a student loan i.e. this does not mean that working for the student finance company will automatically be permissible.

Therefore, in your case, where you will be working for an agency acting on behalf of the student finance company, there is a need to ensure that the role is shariah compliant too. From what you have sent, there is a major issue with this role. The fact that you will be helping people complete application forms for an interest based loan (if this is what it is referred to in the job description) makes it unlawful (haram).

I would advice you to look for something else instead. If you are desperately in need of a job, then you can take this one until you find something more suitable for your need inshAllah.

And Allah knows best!