Selling greeting cards not yet printed

Assalam alaikum

I am planning to set up a webpage to sell greeting cards in different designs. Customers will see the designs online and choose which one they want to buy. Once I receive an order, I’ll get the greeting card printed and shipped out. Since I don’t physically have the greeting card when a customer places an order and pays for it, how should I structure this transaction in a Shari’ah compliant manner?

Jazakallahu khayran.

Assalam alaikum @Mufti_Faraz_Adam @Mufti_Billal

I’d be very grateful for your reply to this question.

Jazakumullah khayr.

Assalam alaikum @Mufti_Faraz_Adam @Mufti_Billal

I’d be very grateful for your reply to this question.

Jazakumullah khayr.

Wasalam

May Allah bless you.
Do you receive the ordered cards before shipping them to customers?

Assalam alaikum Mufti Billal

Yes. The customer can see different design options online and has the choice to do some customizations. Once the customer places the online order, I will personally get them printed as per the customer’s requirements and will ship them myself.

There should not be any issues as longer as:

• you have given the correct description of the item,
  • the customer is aware that the card will be printed on demand
  • that there is no expectation from the customer, and you don’t lead them to think that you will make the card yourself.

And Allah knows best!

Jazakallahu khayran, I really appreciate your reply.

With regards to point 2 (“the customer is aware that the card will be printed on demand”), is it sufficient if I mention this fact in my website FAQs, or must I specify it on each product page for the cards? Since I will have a lot of cards each with separate web pages, I would rather avoid copying this statement on every page. It can also cause doubts for the customers if I mention it repetitively.

Thank you.

Yes in FAQs it will work.