Rulings on being a commercial

Assalamu’alaikum, I just started working on a company dedicated to sell electricity and gas to particulars (through calls). We practically renovate the contacts changing the marketer, which is the one who decides the prices in the first place. I get 20€ commission for each renovated contract.
My problem is, I have a speech that I have to follow, and I’m pretty sure that that speech is not that truthful, because it makes the particular think that the renovation of the contract is obligatory. The particulars do benefit from the renovation tho, they get 25% discount through all the year, and 40% discount the first 2 months.

If someone can please answer I want to decide if I’m willing to take this job with what it takes.

Assalamu’alaikum, I’m really in need of an answer, I don’t want to keep working in this company if it’s haram, and neither I want it’s money if it’s of haram income.
I see that the ones who more qualified answer have are @Mufti_Billal and @Mufti_Faraz_Adam, but I would accept any, as long as they are Islamic and well sourced.
Jazaka’Allah Khairan.

Wasalam

May Allah bless you.

Any work which involves lying to the customer is not lawful from an Islamic perspective.
The Prophet (saw) said, “The honest and trustworthy merchant will be with the prophets, the truthful, and the martyrs. ” (Tirmidhi)

This profound Hadith not only underscores the merits of upholding truthfulness in commerce but also subtly indicates the challenges that come with maintaining such integrity. Thus, individuals who succeed in preserving honesty within their business dealings will be awarded a distinguished status in paradise, reflective of their virtuous conduct.

Therefore, my advice is that you should really check first to see if the speech that you are giving is a misrepresentation from a legal perspective and whether you are actually lying. Don’t’ leave your job until you can establish whether you are sure that you are doing something wrong. If you are doing something wrong then look for another job inshAllah.

And Allah knows best!

1 Like