RSUs from tech companies

Alsalam Aliukm,

I’m a software engineer and I work for Amazon Web Services.
My work itself doesn’t contain anything Haram Insha’Allah. However my offer included a total compensation of (base salary + RSUs). The Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) are to veat anually and usually any performance boost bonus is given in the forms of RSUs that vest over two years.
According to the company’s policy, there may be no way to ask for cash bonus instead and from my research the company has around 15% of revenue may not be Halal (e.g. Prime video/music products).

If I sell the RSUs once they vest to cash out my bouns, is this money considered Haram? and if so, do I have to get a rid of all of it?

Also for other companies they may have 80/90% or more of revenue coming from Ads, which may contain Haram content, if I work for any of these companies in another product that is not Haram, can I still get my compensation in RSUs and sell immediately once they vest to cash out my salary?

Please note that usually the RSUs compensation can vary from 25-75% of your “total salary” depending on seniority level, so if I just ignore them, then I’m heavily underpaid.

Sorry for the long question, but thinking about that is giving me hard time and I couldn’t find an answer online.

Wasalam

May Allah bless you.

If 15% of their revenue is haram, then you should purify your dividends or capital gains by giving away 15% of your earnings.

Although you are getting the shares as part of a compensation scheme, I would advice to not hold on to them once vested, but to sell them and invest in a shariah compliant company.

And Allah knows best!

@Mufti_Billal
Thank you for your reply. However, may you please explain what do you refer to by dividends or capital gains? Does that cover the original part of the compensation + any additional revenue coming from holding the RSUs and sell for higher price than at grant time? Or only if I hold them?

Should I give away 15 % of the whole “RSU compensation part” even if I sell immediately on the day of vesting just to get my full comperunsation?

Also may you please provide an answer for the other general question, for companies making profit out of Ads if I work on another product (yet under the same company).

Jazak Allah kol khair!