Riba Question - does Gift-Aid count towards it?

Assalaamu alaykum,

Bit of a cheeky question: I have £500 in interest money which I want to give away. I chose an acceptable charity to give Riba to, and noticed they accept gift-aid, which adds 25% on top - money which I’ve earnt as gross income and is being redirected to a charity instead of being taxed. The argument is its still considered my money. (You can probably see where i’m going with this), is it ok to pay £400 in ribawi money, and check the option to add gift-aid which would be £100, which still totals to £500 but is technically from a different part of my wealth.

Does it depend on what the charity will do with the gift aid money? If I chose a completely secular one, would that make a difference?

Jazakallahu khayran

Wa Alaykum salaam,

The gift aid is not your money. The ownership of that has passed to the government. As such, it cannot count as purification for the additional £100. Therefore, you need to give £500 from your funds in charity.

Allah knows best

See also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJPsF-QyM-k&t=1s at 2:32.

If you are a higher rate or additional rate payer you can actually claim back a chunk of that donation - and that would be permissible!