Receiving loaned money from someone who earns haram income

Salaams,

If i have loaned someone money.
Now it is time for them to pay it back but I now know they only earn haram income.

Q1.
Is it haram for me to get back my own (halal) money which i gave previously?

If it is haram to take back my own money due to them only earning haram,

Q2.
Does the ruling change if i am now in need of the money for necessities?

Jazakallah

@Mufti_Billal @Mufti_Faraz_Adam Salam, I’m also interested in knowing the answer to a question similar to this. If I paid for the damages of my friend’s car and he wants to pay me back and the majority of his wealth is from haram income, would it be permissible to receive money from him?

Jazakallah khairan

Wasalam

May Allah bless you.

1. The scholars differ on this matter. Some differentiate between whether a Muslim has a mixture of halal and haram wealth, and which one makes up the majority. Some differentiate between how the money has been earned i.e. was it through stealing or was it by selling something haram for example.

It is better to not take the money if you know that you will be paid from the haram wealth, or if you know that the person’s wealth is mostly made of haram.

1. If you are really in need of this money then potentially the rule could change.

And Allah knows best!

Wasalam

May Allah bless you.

It is best to not take the money from him if the majority of his wealth is from haram sources. However, you can ask him to pay you back from halal sources.

And Allah knows best!