Purifying funds received from parents

Assalaamu Alaykum,

I’m a revert in a non-Muslim family. My parents have purchased various financial products over the years, including various conventional pensions and ISAs that attract interest, with a view to helping my brother and I with our finances when we grew up. They recently decided that my brother and I had reached an age where they would like to help us out by transferring some of their savings to us.

I know that at least some of these funds come directly from the sums they had invested in those products (the funds weren’t mixed back into their general savings, for instance, before they were transferred to us). I was wondering therefore whether it was incumbent on me to purify these funds by donating some of them to charity or similar.

The issue is complicated a bit by the fact that my parents sometimes needed access to my bank account in order to purchase these products. At the time, I knew some of these products involved interest, in other cases I was more unsure as to their permissibility, as on one occasion when I had to sign some papers to open a conventional pension.

I didn’t like to argue with or offend my parents as they just had my interests at heart. I did later manage to convince them to allow me to place some of these funds in Shariah-compliant products, but that took some time.

Sorry for the length of the question - I would really appreciate any guidance on whether and how I should purify these funds.

JazakumAllahu Khayran

Wa alaykum salaam,

We pray you are well. May Allah bless you and grant us all steadfastness. Ameen

I pray Allah guides your parents to Islam. Ameen.

Keep making dua to Allah and with love and gentleness, show your parents the beauty of Islam, the love Allah has for us, and the beautiful teachings of the Prophet ﷺ.

You do not need to purify the funds you received from your parents.

Allah knows best