Personal Finance Question: Insurance benefits bundled with paid current account

Salaam,

I had a question about insurance benefits included with certain bank accounts. For example, the Nationwide FlexPlus account which charges a fee of £13 per month is bundled with benefits such as worldwide family travel insurance, mobile phone insurance and car breakdown cover. I realise that such insurance products can be problematic if purchased directly. However, is it permissible to make a claim on the insurance bundled with the bank account, for example, making a claim on the travel insurance if a planned holiday is cancelled due to genuine illness. Please note that such bank accounts provide the benefit of a bundle of insurance products at a fraction of the cost of purchasing these insurance products separately and the initial intention for opening such an account is often to benefit from such insurance should the need arise in future.

Many thanks,
Umer.

Wasalam

May Allah bless you.

Over the years, my opinion on certain type of insurance have changed. I would hope that one day we have an Islamic alternative to the conventional insurance in the UK.
Until then, I believe that having certain type of insurance is necessary to protect yourself against a very probable adverse outcome. These would include breakdown cover, certain type of travel insurance, extended guarantee on certain items, insurance on mobile phones and laptops. (@Mufti_Faraz_Adam) might have a difference view on this matter.

Having said that, the benefits obtained by paying a fee for a certain bank account, is not permissible. Therefore the insurance received from the bank will not be halal. Please see the following link: Reward schemes for making an account with a bank

And Allah knows best!

JZK for the clarification.

اَلسَلامُ عَلَيْكُم وَرَحْمَةُ اَللهِ وَبَرَكاتُهُ‎
Mufti Bilal,

Quick question in your view can we get mobile Insurance or any gadgets Insurance, also for Fridges and washing machine from manufacturer or using 3rd party cover, is it permissible?