Patreon earning

Salaam alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

Is using patreon halal? Please explain in details.

Jazak Allah khair!

Wasalam wr wb

May Allah bless you.

Can you give us a description of what is Patreon and what is it you want to use for please.

Regards

1. Description of what is Patreon:

(https://support.patreon.com/hc/en-us/articles/204606315-What-is-Patreon-)

Patreon is a membership platform that makes it easy for creators to get paid.

For creators , Patreon is a way to get paid for creating the things you’re already creating (webcomics, videos, songs, whatevs). Fans pay a few bucks per month OR per post you release, and then you get paid every month, or every time you release something new. Learn more about becoming a creator on Patreon HERE.

For patrons , Patreon is a way to join your favorite creator’s community and pay them for making the stuff you love. Instead of literally throwing money at your screen (trust us, that doesn’t work), you can now pay a few bucks per month or per post that a creator makes. For example, if you pay $2 per video, and the creator releases 3 videos in February, then your card gets charged a total of $6 that month. This means the creator gets paid regularly (every time she releases something new), and you become a bonafide, real-life patron of the arts. That’s right–Imagine you , in a long frilly white wig, painted on a 10-foot canvas on the wall of a Victorian mansion. And imagine your favorite creators making a living doing what they do best… because of you.

1. What is it you want to use for please:
    My planning would be like to just do teaching concerning finance and investment-related stuff. Maybe like, valuing the companies, investing advices, etc.

Jazak Allah khair!

It says:

“Fans pay a few bucks per month OR per post you release, and then you get paid every month, or every time you release something new.”

As a creator, how would you know how much you will be paid? how do you fix the price of your service?

I think I don’t know. The price is unknown, because you can be earning to much and you can be earning nothing. It depends. I could be making a tier, in which for example, if you buy my $5 tier, you would be getting free shoutout in my twitter, etc. Just like in a business, no one would ever know/guarantee the amount of revenue to be received.

This is my understanding from the information received:

• that you will be receiving patronage for creating things. Such as in the olden days artist would get a patron to support them and their work. For example, famous French playwriter Molière was offered patronage from the brother of the king Louis XIV.
    If this is your case, then it is permissible to receive what ever money you are offered. This is not a wage in lieu of a service offered but, it is just a financial support. However bare in mind that the content you are creating, must be shariah compliant.

• you mentioned something about selling a tier? I am not sure what that entails, can you provide more details please.

Jazak Allah khair for your answer.

Sure!

" Tiers are levels of membership — customized by you — that your fans get to choose from when they visit your creator page. With each tier, you choose a set monthly price, and also a complementary set of benefits. Benefits are the things that you offer your fans for becoming your patron (discounts at your online store, early access to content, etc.)"

So, for example, I have 4 tiers having different prices. My cheapest tier is for $1/per month with includes the following rewards:

1. Access to back catalog of investment course
  2. Password to mysite.com
  3. Acces to my Exclusive webinars.

So, If you (patreon/customer) clicked/opted opted for my (creator) tier $1/month, then you will be getting the above mentioned benefits/rewards. My other tier is for $2/month, $5/month and $100/month with their rewards/benefits, accordingly.

The way it seems to be structured is also fine to me. I do not see any issues with the income received from selling certain benefits provided the benefits are shariah compliant.

And Allah knows best!

Jazak Allah khair for your answer!!! I think I forgot to say another thing:

So, the meaning of $1/per month means that $1/per month is the minimum amount. You can give more than that. So, is that extra money considered as donation? Is it haram to receive it?

@Mufti_Billal @Mufti_Faraz_Adam

@Mufti_Billal @Mufti_Faraz_Adam