Need some clarity on what part of the billing system i can work with?

Asslam-o-Alaikum Brother,

I have received a job offer from a waste management software company. The parent company design software for the waste collection trucks, they also own small brands and one of them build billing software for the waste management companies.

Billing software does have the functionality to charge a late fee or apply finance charges if an account is a past due. Clients can configure this to do many different things, but generally, it’s a flat fee calculated and applied to the account when it has a past due balance. There are certain clients that have configured it to be a percentage of the account balance though.

As far as I know, the above mentioned charges are clearly Riba. I have not accepted the offer yet and I have asked the company if it will be okay for me not to work on fees charging part of the software. I am waiting to hear back from them.

I need some clarity on this, can I work on other parts of the billing software which manage payments? Not all payment are late, most of them will be normal debit or credit card payments.

Also, the company is not forcing clients to charge late payment fees to its customers, it’s up to the client how they utilize the system. Is it still impermissible for me to wok on the billing system?

Jazak Allah

Can someone please reply to my question?

I believe answer will help others on this forum as well.

Jazak Allah