IT Infrastructure Engineer For Software Company

Asalaam wa Alaikum,

Firstly thank you for such a fantastic site.
It is a great source of information and I am so thankful to you all.

I have a question about a possible employment opportunity.
The company (not a Bank) builds and sells software solutions to banks. So for example, if a bank wanted to automate the opening of Accounts or the Applications of mortgages / Loans this company would build the software and provide the bank with the platform automation methods (Web, Mobile Apps, etc.).
The software is an end-to-end solution covering origination and servicing.

My specific role would be in infrastructure engineer, so by definition I would be setting up the servers, the web services, the permissions, and installing the pre-built software by the developers. We as engineers would also be liable for supporting the software should things need to be patched or upgraded.

So the key points are:

1. The company is not a bank - They make the money selling end to end solutions to banks.
  2. The job is in the IT Department supporting the infrastructure build for the software to run at the banks
  3. The banks they sell the software solution too will more often be to riba based banks.
  4. My job will not be part of the development team (creating the software).

Would this be a Halal company to work for and a Halal Job?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and advise.

Thank you!

Asalaam wa Alaikum,

I hope all are well despite the ongoing depressing conditions.

I was wondering if the moderators had a chance to read this?

Thank you so much!

Wa Alaikum Asalaam

Assalaamu alaykum,

Since your direct role is not involved with prohibited activities or services, your job in and of itself seems compliant. Further, the solutions can be anything which you build, it’s not necessary that your company will be developing software to facilitate Riba transactions or process them always.

However, if during the job you feel something you are doing is not right, then do speak to a scholar for further advice.

Allah knows best

1 Like

Wa Alaykum il Salam,

Thank you for getting back to me.

My thoughts were exactly the same.

My only worry was that I was facilitating the Riba aspect since we build the servers for the developers and install the software which is then sold to the bank as a package which then enables the bank to use on their site to charge interest for certain accounts to customers.

I do feel however that you are right since I have no interaction per se except the installation of the software which I didn’t create which is then sold to the bank to do whatever they want with, they may not even use the mortgage / loan platform.

Do you sort of see where my worry was?
(Building the servers = “seems ok” installing the software = “possibly facilitating the transaction?”)

Although, I didn’t build the actual software which can be used by the bank for usurious transactions.

https://seekersguidance.org/answers/hanafi-fiqh/bank-employment-when-is-it-permissible/ (point 2)

Assalaamu alaykum,

The software is not solely for facilitating and processing interest-based lending right?

Assalam o Alaykum,

Thank you so much for helping me @Mufti_Faraz_Adam

They apparently provide software that is used by banks, mortgage brokers and consumers. So for example if a Bank wants to offer a product to the public such as a mortgage, savings account or loan, but has no technical experience in how to get the product digitally to the public then this software would provide the banks with the ability to do so by providing them with online facilities to accept and process the applications. So a few examples would be:

1. If a bank wanted to offer a mortgage to borrowers an application / approval process is obviously required. This software provides the Bank the option to offer the public (us) an online application experience using the company’s software package.

2. If a Bank wanted to offer a savings product to the public, this software would provide them with a way to accept and process the online applications.

In another context, it can be seen as software sold to Banks in order to enable them to offer digital products and services such as online Mortgages applications, online Loans applications, online Savings account applications.

I hope that makes more sense.

What do you think?

Thank you so much.

Wa Alaykum il Salam.

Assalaamu alaykum,

It seems from what you are saying that the software is assisting banks in selling their products digitally. In that case, you are part of the advertising process of these products. I would advise you to abstain from this role due to its proximity with unlawful transactions.

Allah knows best

Wa Alaykom il salam @Mufti_Faraz_Adam,

Thank you so much for getting back to me.

Unfortunately I have accepted the job offer. :frowning:
I will start to search for other options as soon as possible.

On the other hand I have been trying so hard the last few days to understand where the unlawful aspect comes into it. I personally have no involvement in Riba (interest), I don’t even work for the Banks. All I do as a member of the IT team is take the updated software from the developers and deploy it to the Banks servers. I am struggling to understand from an Islamic perspective where my role fits into this. What the bank does with the software or the developers of the software is not in my scope of work whatsoever.

It’s almost like a truck driver delivering cement to a building site which will be used to build a Bank.
Can such a role be categorised as haram?

It’s just been troubling me so much recently trying to find the balance between what is right and what is wrong in the grand scheme of judgement. :frowning:

Do you see what I mean?

Thank you so much.

Wa Alaykom il salam.

Assalaamu alaykum,

It all depends on the generic/specific nature of the software. If you are providing specific software to facilitate non-complaint activities, that would be a concern. If you are not providing specific software, then it’s less of a non-compliance risk.

Hello again @Mufti_Faraz_Adam - It’s been a long time.
I hope you have been keeping well despite the ongoing conditions.

I’ve finally had the chance to trial this role for a few months and wanted to report back with my findings in order to gain your expert advice on what you generally think.

So basically what the company does is create software to sell to banks enabling banks to sell products to their clients. So for example they create software to empower a bank to advertise and sell products. Two examples are below;

a) If a bank wants to advertise a mortgage they would put this on their website and when a user clicks apply it would be using the software sold by this company to originate and service that mortgage.

b) If a bank wants to provide saving accounts they would purchase this software and implement it on their website and this would enable customers to open accounts.

Think of the ‘apply now’ or ‘register now’ or ‘sign in’ button on a website. That point onwards would be the software that this company created and sold to the bank.

My role in specific is bespoke so it entails the following;

1. Implementing this software on the banks servers (installing it, reconfiguring it, patching it) according to a check list provided to us by the developers. We don’t get involved in any of the development work. This of us like the guys that install Outlook, Word, Windows according to a manual provided by MS.

2. Support problems with the software by repairing anything we can from what we know about the software or liaising with the relevant department if we cant and passing the problem over to them. We are not responsible for code changes or modifications, so an example would be the configuring of the database server to accommodate the software, fixing any communications between banks and third party gateways such as experian, equifax, etc.

3. Modifying scripts on the servers to enable the transfer of money between banks. So for example when you send money from Bank A to Bank B a specific command is sent and we fix any issues that we can with this command if it fails. If we cant we communicate with the relevant parties.

Could you kindly advise if you think this would be halal or legal?

Important take home points are;

1. Banks that the software is sold to are not shariah complaint however we are not a bank.

2. The company customises software according to the banks needs giving the bank the ability to sell products to clients. This can be anything from Origination (starting an application for a product) right the way to Servicing (maintaining the account on their systems applying interest rates, etc.)

3. I do not develop any code, I deploy or install the developed code. So I would log onto the banks systems and install whatever the developer gives me. This may be bug fixes, enhancements, functionality, interest rate changes.

4. I don’t market or promote the software. I support the infrastructure the software is installed on.

Many Thanks for your time reading this.

Wa 3alokom il salam.

AA

Inshaallah you are well @Mufti_Faraz_Adam?

I was just wondering if you had a chance to read my latest post (23rd March) as I will be soon beginning to look for other jobs and wanted your honest opinion on this before I make the move (if necessary)? Thank you so much as always.

Wa 3alaykom il Salam