Is Redbubble print on demand halal or haraam?

السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

Okay so my question is simple, is the well known print of demand company; Redbubble, halal or haraam to sell on and make money.

I am aware of the general ruling of not being able to sell something you don’t possess but hear that there are some exceptions. If you require details of Redbubble you can find them on their website such as returns policy and so on.

I hope you can answer my questions. ‎جزاك اللهُ خيرا‬

Wasalam wr wb

May Allah bless you.
Please provide information about the process.

Kind regards

Okay so the basic concept of redbubble.com is that it is a website that holds lots of different products such as tshirts, mugs, hoodies and more. I would upload my designs and then the products get added onto my store on Redbubble.com. Someone would visit the redbubble website and search for a product, my product would come up and they would buy it. They would pay redbubble direct and then redbubble would add the commission to my account and then pay me once every month of the 15th. This money would come to my bank account. With regards to the return policy, Redbubble accepts free returns on most products up to 90 days. I am assuming that Redbubble would deduct money from my account and refund the customer. They also give an estimated delivery time. The product is guaranteed to reach to the customer. And Allah knows best.

See my last response for teespring on the following link. It seems to me that the process is similar for redbubble too.

Kind regards

Salaam Sheikh, okay so I have a question to follow this up. So I think we can agree that Teespring and RedBubble are practically the same right.

Okay so there’s a small issue that would deter customers from purchasing from either of these print on demand places which is shipping costs. They show up as a bit too high. So my idea is would it be permissible to open a Shopify website that shows the same mugs on my teespring store but I show the price on my website as free shipping but actually including shipping price in the overall price. So let me give you an example:

Teespring/Redbubble:
Mug Price: £9.99
Shipping: £3.99

My Shopify Website:
Mug Price: £13.98
Shipping: FREE

Just to understand Shopify it is an online website store hosting company. So I would create a Shopify website. I would put the same images on the website from Teespring. When you would buy the mug from my website, it would take me roughly 3 days to receive the money from Shopify and then I would place the order on my Teespring store and then Teespring ships directly to the customer and then the profit arrives by PayPal in a few days from Teespring.

Wasalam

May Aallah bless you.
You see the reason I did not see any issue with Teespring is that, the structure indicates that the seller on the website is similar to an agent acting on behalf of Teespring.
However, in your scenario, the moment you are selling on Shopify, you are equivalent to an independent seller. The fact that you are selling an asset which you do not have, becomes similar to dropshipping. This method of transaction is impermissible.
The only way you could remedy this issue, would be by, adding on your website, that you are a broker, and that you will be outsourcing the items from another seller.
If you can have that in your terms and conditions somewhere, then there will be no shariah issue inshaAllah.

And Allah knows best!

‎جزاك اللهُ خيرا‬ for your respons, it is much appreciated.

So basically if I put in the websites terms and conditions that the product is outsourced and I am acting as a broker, I can have my own store on Shopify? I don’t understand, isn’t it still the same as me selling something that I don’t own. Please could you explain Salam to me. Is this what it is? I’m quite confused. ‎جزاك اللهُ خيرا‬

Assalamu alaykum Mufti,

I would like to bring to your attention one point in Redbubble.

In their term agreement, Redbubble IS THE AGENT, not I. Is this an issue? Looks like by default redbubble’s business model is to sell other people’s artwork / designs, but I wasn’t sure if there are shariah issues?

Wasalam

May Allah bless you.
Technically yes, this can have an impact on the shariah ruling.
However, another way we could look at it is, a seller on Redbubble and Teespring, does not own any of the products they are selling such as t shirts etc. The only thing they are selling is the right to use the design.
So now we could interpret it in this manner: Redbubble is your agent for the sale of your design only, not the entire product.
It would not make sense to attribute the entire product to the seller, since he has no control over anything. The seller does not even buy anything from the website to begin with.
I confirm that I still do not see any issues with trading on Redbubble, unless other information come to light.

And Allah knows best!

Yes if you mention it then it will work out better. To see all the conditions of a salam transaction please see the fatwa of Al Qalam and Islamweb on this thread:

And Allah knows best!

1 Like

Salamu alaykum Sheikh, I would really appreciate you answering what exactly makes something independent as a Seller? because on Teespring, there is a function where you can make a storeront in which you sell your products in different niches (Coffelovers, Football players etc.) and buy your own Domain (website Name) to promote visitors to your site in order to increase the chances of getting a sale (because they will be exposed to only your designs due to the storefront only containing your designs). However, we will not be the ones sending the product to the customer, that will be the job of Teespring. We can get in contact with the seller tho. Would this be considered as an independent seller and fall under the rule of selling which we dont posess? jazzak Allah for answering I need this to be certain Sheikh.

ASSALAMU ALAIKUM sheikh, so I have the same question about shopify, so when I create my shopify store I itegrate the Print on demand company that fulfills the order automaticly when it arrieves, so the company allowes to me to sell its products, and also in the terms of conditions I added that the orders are manufactured and shipped from that company, and the shipping dates are correct and the orders arrive to the customers in time, so I do not se any thing wrong in this case but allah now best, please answer me asap, thank you.

Assalaamu Alaikum

I use the following business model (below). If Mufti could please comment on whether it is permissible or not, it would benefit me greatly.

It relates to dropshipping and Print on demand.

The fact that you can’t sell something which you do not possess makes a lot of sense to me as to why it is prohibited (e.g., failure to acquire the product at the time of sale\Supplier price increasing).

However, would it still be prohibited if the business is of such nature that the supplier is a trusted, reliable source and the business model is such that the products have to be made on demand (i.e., Print on Demand)?

My business model uses the following print on demand methods.

I implement 2 ways, which are similar to each other, Explained below:

There is a company called Printify. This company offers a Print on demand service. Essentially, what happens is I will create a design (that is halal). This design can then be printed on various items such as t-shirts, mugs, phone cases, pillows, etc. I simply upload my design on the product that I choose, purchase it, then Printify will print my design on the desired product and will then ship it to an address. They include all costs, delivery date, and a full description of the item (size, material, weight, etc.). Printify is a trusted source with many businesses using them.

This company also allows me to integrate their service with my own Online store website.

Model 1)

I upload the various products with my designs to my Online Store and I add a markup to Printify’s cost in order to make a profit. When a customer purchases the item from me, I go to Printify and upload the design to the desired product and purchase it. When adding the address details, I add my customer’s address so that the product will be shipped directly to the customer. Printify is a trusted source with many businesses using them, so I trust that they will fulfill the order without any issues. But if there were to be a situation where my customer did not receive the product or received a defective item, I will fully refund him and bear the loss.

Model 2)

Print on demand with local supplier (also a trusted, reliable company)

This model is slightly different. When a customer purchases the item from me, I go to my local supplier’s website and upload the design to the desired product and purchase it. However, this time I add my address details and get the product shipped to me first. Once I receive the product, I then ship it using my own shipping company to the customer.

**With both business models i indicate in the product description that the items are made on order and are fulfilled(method 1) or produced (method 2) by a trusted third party company.

I am looking forward to Mufti’s response

@Mufti_Faraz_Adam @ibrahimkhan

Jazakallahu Khair

@Mufti_Billal

As salamu alaikum,

Please guide with Quranic references and Sunnah as well.

Some info on working of Print on Demand business.

1. An individual can become seller on POD (print on demand) platform if he designs something to be printed on the tee-shirts and these platforms (Teespring, redbubble, teepublic, amazon merch) will get these teeshirts printed, manufactured and deliver to the customer. They will get it done by manufacturer who will produce these and send to the customer.

2. In terms & agreement, they mention that the designer is actually the seller. And the POD platform (Teepublic, teespring, Amazon Merch) is the AGENT of the seller that will get the teeshirt manufacture, print and deliver to the customer.

3.a. What actually happens is that an individual (seller) will make the design and upload it to the website of POD platform. The POD has its base cost mentioned when uploading the design for specific product. E.g. I make design for a teeshirt that has base cost of $18 and I can add any profit margin, let’s say $3, to it to sell it to the customer at $21. The customer will pay online to POD platform the bill of $21 + shipping fee calculated as per his/her location.

3.b. There is 2nd situation (depends on POD platform how they offer), where the profit margin on the base cost is not set by individual (seller), in fact it is already set by the POD platform, e.g. for a teeshirt that I have made a design, their base cost is $18 and they will sell it to customer at $22 and will give me $4. But the seller is okay with what they have pre-set.

1. Some platforms will provide me the earnings on next month, or 15th of the next month of selling. For example, if $50 was my profit in Mar 2023, they would pay me in Apr 2023 (some would pay on 15th of Apr 2023).

2. Some POD platforms offer 30-day return policy, other offers 90-day return policy etc and they call it make-it-right policy either they return it or talk to the customer for the issue and its resolution in any way possible etc because that teeshirt was manufactured specifically for that customer after the order received.

3. If the order is cancelled, some of these platforms will deduct the royalty/profit they had provided to me.

4. Next, I have to use PAYONEER (bank) to get payment online. The PAYONEER provides bank in any country like USA, UK etc.

5. For USA, the payoneer will deduct $1 for receiving any amount in my account.

9.a. On transferring the amount from US dollars to local currency in my local country (e.g. PKR in Pakistani bank account), there is No transaction fee BUT there is a fee (that is 2% of the amount) for the currency exchange from US dollars to Pakistani rupees.

9.b. Transferring of amount from Payoneer (USD $) to Pakistani bank account would take 3-6 days (or may be delayed more).

My questions regarding this POD business:

1. Is this way of business halal (if products are halal) ? Is it ISTISNA transaction?

2. If it’s halal, do I own or posses the product via AGENT ? Agent is getting these products done and DELIVER via manufacturer (Most PODs are engaging manufacturer to do the delivery as well).
    Does it fulfill the condition of owning and taking possession of the product? Is My agent getting ownership and posession on my behalf even if it’s getting it done and deliver via manufacturer?

3. The product range includes clothes, mugs, stickers, pillows etc. We can select which product we want to make design for.

If we select Teeshirt (we can NOT further select or un-select the gender-wise shirt), it will make our design printing available for Teeshirts (Half sleeve and full sleeve) for both male and female customers.

Is it halal product if half sleeve teeshirts are purchased and worn by female customers in USA, UK, Europe etc? (Female customer could be anyone among Non-Muslims, Muslims)

4.a. If AGENT has pre-set the profit for seller, is it okay in terms of islamically halal transaction?

4.b. Can we consider ourselves the commissioning agent in all these transactions even if the terms and agreement from POD platform say otherwise? Or can we consider that POD platform is selling our design, even if terms and agreement say that the agent is doing production, packing and delivery of teeshirt for the seller?

5.a Do the fee deductions by PAYONEER fall under halal transactions or is there any form of interest/riba in it?

5.b. Does the delay in payment to Pakistani bank from US bank (payoneer) after conversion from USD to PKR, is it halal or haram?
When transaction is done, it says “Your funds are on the way. We’ll send you a confirmation email shortly. Check the email for details on when the funds will reach your bank account”.

5.c. If we get the funds in our local bank after currency conversion within 2-5 mins of transaction, then payoneer transactions would be halal?

Please help me in this guide with reference of Quran and Sunnah.

@Mufti_Billal

As salamu alaikum,
Please share response. I have mentioned everything in detail. And the questions are also in detail. I hope that it would cover the questions from most of the people.

@Mufti_Billal
@Mufti_Faraz_Adam

Awaiting any response on it. Please share.

I think this forum is not active anymore.

@Mufti_Faraz_Adam
@Mufti_Billal

As salamu alaikum!
I am awaiting the response for long. Please guide about it. I have mentioned everything in detail. And the questions are also in detail. I hope that it would cover the questions from most of the people.

wasalam

Its been so long since I looked at Redbubble that I don’t remember much from it to be honest. Once I get the chance to look into it I will reply inshAllah.

@Mufti_Billal,
I have mentioned all details. Let me paste them below. It’s not specific to Redbubble, it’s applicable to most of the Print-on-demand platforms like RedBubble. Please check and guide accordingly.

Please guide with Quranic references and Sunnah as well.

Some info on working of Print on Demand business.

1. An individual can become seller on POD (print on demand) platform if he designs something to be printed on the tee-shirts and these platforms (Teespring, redbubble, teepublic, amazon merch) will get these teeshirts printed, manufactured and deliver to the customer. They will get it done by manufacturer who will produce these and send to the customer.

2. In terms & agreement, they mention that the designer is actually the seller. And the POD platform (Teepublic, teespring, Amazon Merch) is the AGENT of the seller that will get the teeshirt manufacture, print and deliver to the customer.

3. What actually happens is that an individual (seller) will make the design and upload it to the website of POD platform. The POD has its base cost mentioned when uploading the design for specific product. E.g. I make design for a teeshirt that has base cost of $18 and I can add any profit margin, let’s say $3, to it to sell it to the customer at $21. The customer will pay online to POD platform the bill of $21 + shipping fee calculated as per his/her location.

4. Some platforms will provide me the earnings on next month, or 15th of the next month of selling. For example, if $50 was my profit in Mar 2023, they would pay me in Apr 2023 (some would pay on 15th of Apr 2023).

5. Some POD platforms offer 30-day return policy, other offers 90-day return policy etc and they call it make-it-right policy either they return it or talk to the customer for the issue and its resolution in any way possible etc because that teeshirt was manufactured specifically for that customer after the order received.

6. If the order is cancelled, some of these platforms will deduct the royalty/profit they had provided to me.

7. Next, I have to use PAYONEER (bank) to get payment online. The PAYONEER provides bank in any country like USA, UK etc.

8. For USA, the payoneer will deduct $1 for receiving any amount in my account.

9.a. On transferring the amount from US dollars to local currency in my local country (e.g. PKR in Pakistani bank account), there is No transaction fee BUT there is a conversion fee (that is 2% of the amount) for the currency exchange from US dollars to Pakistani rupees.

9.b. Transferring of amount from Payoneer (USD $) to Pakistani bank account would take 3-6 days (or may be delayed more).

My questions regarding this POD business:

1. Is this way of business halal (if products are halal) ? Is it ISTISNA transaction?

2. If it’s halal, do I own or posses the product via AGENT ? Agent (POD) is getting these products done and DELIVER via manufacturer (Most PODs are engaging manufacturer to do the delivery as well).

Does it fulfill the condition of owning and taking possession of the product? Is My agent getting ownership and posession on my behalf even if it’s getting it done and deliver via manufacturer?

1. The product range includes clothes, mugs, stickers, pillows etc. We can select which product we want to make design for.

If we select Teeshirt (we can NOT further select or un-select the gender-wise shirt), it will make our design printing available for Teeshirts (Half sleeve and full sleeve) for both male and female customers.

Is it halal product if half sleeve teeshirts are purchased and worn by female customers in USA, UK, Europe etc? (Female customer could be anyone among Non-Muslims, Muslims)

4.a. If AGENT has pre-set the profit for seller, is it okay in terms of islamically halal transaction?

4.b. Can we consider ourselves the commissioning agent in all these transactions even if the terms and agreement from POD platform say otherwise? Or can we consider that POD platform is selling our design, even if terms and agreement say that the agent is doing production, packing and delivery of teeshirt FOR the seller?

5.a Do the fee deductions by PAYONEER fall under halal transactions or is there any form of interest/riba in it?

5.b. Does the delay in payment to Pakistani bank from US bank (payoneer) after conversion from USD to PKR, is it halal or haram?

When transaction is done, it says “Your funds are on the way. We’ll send you a confirmation email shortly. Check the email for details on when the funds will reach your bank account”.

5.c. If we get the funds in our local bank after currency conversion within 2-5 mins of transaction, then payoneer transactions would be halal?

Please help me in this guide with reference of Quran and Sunnah