Is Redbubble print on demand halal or haraam?

السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

Okay so my question is simple, is the well known print of demand company; Redbubble, halal or haraam to sell on and make money.

I am aware of the general ruling of not being able to sell something you don’t possess but hear that there are some exceptions. If you require details of Redbubble you can find them on their website such as returns policy and so on.

I hope you can answer my questions. ‎جزاك اللهُ خيرا‬

Wasalam wr wb

May Allah bless you.
Please provide information about the process.

Kind regards

Okay so the basic concept of redbubble.com is that it is a website that holds lots of different products such as tshirts, mugs, hoodies and more. I would upload my designs and then the products get added onto my store on Redbubble.com. Someone would visit the redbubble website and search for a product, my product would come up and they would buy it. They would pay redbubble direct and then redbubble would add the commission to my account and then pay me once every month of the 15th. This money would come to my bank account. With regards to the return policy, Redbubble accepts free returns on most products up to 90 days. I am assuming that Redbubble would deduct money from my account and refund the customer. They also give an estimated delivery time. The product is guaranteed to reach to the customer. And Allah knows best.

See my last response for teespring on the following link. It seems to me that the process is similar for redbubble too.

Kind regards

Salaam Sheikh, okay so I have a question to follow this up. So I think we can agree that Teespring and RedBubble are practically the same right.

Okay so there’s a small issue that would deter customers from purchasing from either of these print on demand places which is shipping costs. They show up as a bit too high. So my idea is would it be permissible to open a Shopify website that shows the same mugs on my teespring store but I show the price on my website as free shipping but actually including shipping price in the overall price. So let me give you an example:

Teespring/Redbubble:
Mug Price: £9.99
Shipping: £3.99

My Shopify Website:
Mug Price: £13.98
Shipping: FREE

Just to understand Shopify it is an online website store hosting company. So I would create a Shopify website. I would put the same images on the website from Teespring. When you would buy the mug from my website, it would take me roughly 3 days to receive the money from Shopify and then I would place the order on my Teespring store and then Teespring ships directly to the customer and then the profit arrives by PayPal in a few days from Teespring.

Wasalam

May Aallah bless you.
You see the reason I did not see any issue with Teespring is that, the structure indicates that the seller on the website is similar to an agent acting on behalf of Teespring.
However, in your scenario, the moment you are selling on Shopify, you are equivalent to an independent seller. The fact that you are selling an asset which you do not have, becomes similar to dropshipping. This method of transaction is impermissible.
The only way you could remedy this issue, would be by, adding on your website, that you are a broker, and that you will be outsourcing the items from another seller.
If you can have that in your terms and conditions somewhere, then there will be no shariah issue inshaAllah.

And Allah knows best!

‎جزاك اللهُ خيرا‬ for your respons, it is much appreciated.

So basically if I put in the websites terms and conditions that the product is outsourced and I am acting as a broker, I can have my own store on Shopify? I don’t understand, isn’t it still the same as me selling something that I don’t own. Please could you explain Salam to me. Is this what it is? I’m quite confused. ‎جزاك اللهُ خيرا‬

Assalamu alaykum Mufti,

I would like to bring to your attention one point in Redbubble.

In their term agreement, Redbubble IS THE AGENT, not I. Is this an issue? Looks like by default redbubble’s business model is to sell other people’s artwork / designs, but I wasn’t sure if there are shariah issues?

Wasalam

May Allah bless you.
Technically yes, this can have an impact on the shariah ruling.
However, another way we could look at it is, a seller on Redbubble and Teespring, does not own any of the products they are selling such as t shirts etc. The only thing they are selling is the right to use the design.
So now we could interpret it in this manner: Redbubble is your agent for the sale of your design only, not the entire product.
It would not make sense to attribute the entire product to the seller, since he has no control over anything. The seller does not even buy anything from the website to begin with.
I confirm that I still do not see any issues with trading on Redbubble, unless other information come to light.

And Allah knows best!

Yes if you mention it then it will work out better. To see all the conditions of a salam transaction please see the fatwa of Al Qalam and Islamweb on this thread:

And Allah knows best!