Investing Question: Is participating in a proof of stake network halal?

Can you please let me know if staking is halal. Specially this Fact token. URL is given below.

https://fact.finance/en

Assalaamu alaykum,

Staking depends on the particular token. At present, since this is a developing area and ever evolving, there is no one-size-fits-all answers on staking.

What’s being staked, the rewards, the protocols of the network, what’s being validated, all need to be considered before a genuine response can be offered.

On this Fiqh Forum, we don’t review individual tokens.

I think the question about staking token on crypto.com is not really easy to answer. As I know, If you stake a token, you will get paid the interest weekly in BTC. So, the question would be, if this would be seen as riba or as something like a reward? I know you do not do token screening here, but this question would be specific about the website and not about a token.

What happens to your tokens in their model when the tokens are staked?

There is already a link, which a brother posted. I just post it here and I hope this can help:

Assalaamu alaykum,

From what it seems, interest is earned daily on the stake. Therefore, it would fall foul of Shariah principles.

1 Like

Alsalam alikom
what is sharia says about proof of stack POS for below (if it is hallal or haram)
1- US Dollar
2-Polkadot (DOT) coin
3- Kusama (KSM)
Jazak allah kol khair
جزاك الله كل خير

Asalamoalaikum,

Would you consider Ethereum’s transition to ethereum 2.0 proof of stake to be a permissible form of investment?

Thank you

1 Like

Alsalam alikom
what sharia says about proof of stack POS for below (if it is hallal or haram)
1- US Dollar
2-Polkadot (DOT) coin
3- Kusama (KSM) coin
Jazak allah kol khair
جزاك الله كل خير

Hi is theta token staking halal

Salem aleykum wa rahmat Allah wa baraket, is the staking on binance for the new Coin REEF halal?
That’s the link : https://www.binance.com/en/support/announcement/fcf9a1563a0345869bf1898c888cc4ce

Salam alikom Mufti Faraz, Jazaka Allahou Khayran for all.

I asked support of crypto.com today about interest and about POS. They answer :

Answer 1 :

2 Likes

Answer 2 :

So is it Halal or not to “stake” our crypto and earn interest with them if they don’t lend and don’t use this crypto ?

1 Like

As per previous post is crypto.com staking Halal?

Salaam guys

Just catching up on this thread.

Key things are:

1. In principle, POS is permissible (subject of course to the underlying cryptocurrency itself not being dodgy). Here is the reasoning:

Proof-of-Stake (POS) is an alternative to the standard Proof-of-Work (POW) approach to blockchain verification and cryptocurrency issuance.

POW is the method used by Bitcoin and others and relies on you using your CPU power to do random maths problems, and upon solving that you get to make the new block on the blockhain (and earn some bitcoin as a result of this).

But the problem with this approch is the immense computational power needed. An alternative is the POS approach which essentially allocates the right to create the new block on the blockchain on the basis of your ownership of existing coins. So the older and more coins you own, the more likely you are to be allocated the right to create the new block on the blockchain.

POS is therefore simply a mechanism among a group (the group of those who own this cryptocurrency) to facilitate issuance of new tokens and the creation of new blocks for the blockchain and continued validation. Sure, one could quibble with the implication of it - that the ones with the most coins typically get richer - but ultimately our view is that this is a statistical likelihood and actually depends on who early adopters are (who took a risk at the time). Additionally, POS and other alternatives to POW need to be encouraged given the immense climate change harm that POW does. Finally, POS and other alternatives to POW are inevitably going to be needed with blockchain is to realise its potential. POW just takes too long, uses up too much energy to be any practical use for an actual currency.

1. Getting paid interest to give your coins to someone else to stake for you is not generally permissible in my humble view. Sometimes it can be though. Reasoning below.

The people you are giving that money to are themselves engaging in a halal activity, but their transaction with you is impermissible. They are saying to you “lend us £100 and we’ll give you £105 back in 1 month.” That is interest. However, where the payback to you is done in a currency other than the one that you gave them, i.e. they gave you £100 and then paid you back in $, then that can be permissible.

The reasoning behind that is that if we view each cryptocurrency as a digital asset, one can exchange between them as we like, and one can also take a delayed delivery of them as well. So just like I can buy £100 worth of apples to be delivered to me in 1 month, one can also buy £100 worth of BTC to be delivered to me in a month. The amount of apples and BTC are entirely up for negotiation between the two parties.

If in any doubt on this matter, I’d stay clear.

As Salaamu Alaykum Mufti

You said that Yield Farming is very similar or close to riba and should be avoided.

Does that include Liquidity Mining as well? It sounds to me like it does from:

But, I don’t actually understand the difference.

I was interested in investing in BOT (Bounce): https://docs.bounce.finance/

“Bounce is a decentralized auction platform, incorporating liquidity mining, decentralized governance and staking mechanisms. The first principle of Bounce is scarcity of resources, which creates a competitive swap environment.”

Would investing in them be permissible?

Can I know Is binance future trading permissible in islam?

Salaam
Cardano recently introduced staking. I understand you cant look specifically at Cardano, but if the staking is haraam in this case, would it make investing in the coin (without staking) haraam?

But actually you can not sell £100 for $110 after one month. There is a clear Hadith about that. It must be finalized in the same session, hand-by-hand, - aka here moved to your account or wallet and be able to directly spend it as you like.
It’s called Taqabod تقابض in Arabic, I think it’s palpation in English.

2 Likes

Some or all Proof of Stake models choose which node to give the right to create a token/coin based on randomness (the more tokens you have, the higher your chances of being chosen). Example: Cartesi (CTSI): https://www.coingecko.com/en/coins/cartesi

“Node runners are selected randomly according to a PoS system and gain the right to create the next block.”

Does this make this specific PoS haram? Or is this how all PoS work? Is randomness in a financial system halal?