Investing Question: Buying shares in specific companies

Is it ok to buy shares in Greggs (GRG:LON) even if the majority of their income* comes from selling food items that are not (necessarily**) permissible for Muslims to eat? Essentially what I’m asking is whether them manufacturing things like steak and kidney pie, chicken pasties, etc, i.e. food items that non-Muslims eat is a ‘haram activity’. And hence would this be different to them manufacturing alcohol?

• I’m not actually sure if Greggs’ majority income is from selling non-halal food. I still need to do my due diligence, but just exploring the ‘halalness’ of the option at this stage.

**I’m aware some Muslims consider the meat of the People of the Book as halal

Wasalam

May Allah bless you.

If you buy shares in a company that has some haram investment, then you need to ensure the following:

• The value of the haram investment should not exceed 33% of the total asset of the company.
  • The revenue from such investment should not exceed 5% of the total gross revenue of the company.
  • Any income received from the haram investment must be given away into charity.

For more information on buying halal shares and how to screen please click on this link:

https://www.islamicfinanceguru.com/investment/how-to-screen-for-halal-sharia-compliant-shares/

Secondly, for a Muslim to manufacture and to sell non halal food and drinks to Non Muslim is not permitted in shariah.

And Allah knows best!

Jazak’Allahu khair for taking the time to respond. Whilst I now understand that a Muslim may not manufacture and sell non halal food and drink items to Non-Muslim, but I may have not conveyed the question accurately. So if I may, can I ask, is it ok to invest in a business in which the core product is non-Muslims manufacturing non halal food items for non-Muslims? And this core product is NOT alcohol, but non-halal meat, for example.

Wa alaykum salaam,

It is not permissible to invest in businesses whose core activity is the production of non-halal meat even if the consumers are not Muslim.

Allah knows best