I found some money (1 Saudi Riyal) in the road

Dear respected Muftis,
Salam alaikum was rahmatullahi was barakatuh,

I found some money (1 Saudi Riyal) in the road in the past. I think most probably the reason why I took is not that I want it, rather to give it to the owner. But, I don’t know the owner. I found that money (it was a coin, for being more concise) on the road which was just next to my school. I think someone advised me to give it to the school manager, but I find that difficult, like going all the way to the manager just for the coin, etc. I really don’t know what to do. Please help me out.

Also, I don’t really remember what I have done with that coin. I think I gave it to needy/poor women begging in the masjid. But, I really don’t remember whether I have done that act or not. If I did that, then is it okay to donate that coin to the needy/poor women begging in the masjid close to my house?

Also, as mentioned earlier, I don’t remember whether I have donated that money or not. So, What should I do now?

Jazak Allah khair! :slight_smile:
May Allah reward us all the highest level of paradise.

Also, to whom should I give that money to?

Can I please get the answer? I am sorry to disturb you all. :slight_smile: @Mufti_Faraz_Adam @Mufti_Billal

Can I please get the answer? I am sorry to disturb you all. :slight_smile: @Mufti_Faraz_Adam @Mufti_Billal

Give it to the manager or leave it where you found it.

Jazak Allah khair for that reply. Also, can I get the answer to the other questions that I have asked from this question? Also, can I get a reply from the mufti?

@ibrahimkhan @Mufti_Faraz_Adam @Mufti_Billal

i think it is been around 27 days I haven’t got my required answer. Please can anyone forward my question to the respected muftis? Jazak Allah khair! :slight_smile: @ibrahimkhan @Mufti_Faraz_Adam @Mufti_Billal

You have to know it in the gatherings of people you say: I found money on the way to such-and-such and in the so-and-so shop, money, dollars, dinars, Saudi riyals and so on, you clarify. This is how the Prophet ordered ﷺ by definition a full year to be known in the assemblies of people at the gates of mosques, in the marketplaces, who has such-and-such? Who has such-and-such? In a month twice three more times until the Sunnah is completed, and if the Sunnah is completed and no one has come, then it is for you, unless it is weak and small and has no value. Leave it, yes.

This is شيخ bin baz fatwa not my fatwa the fatwa have been translated in English in lgta what you found in the road

Jazak Allah khair for that reply.

Not a mufti but here’s a suggestion:

You should go to your local mosque and after jumah announce that you have picked up 1 Riyal outside your school at such and such location and if someone lost that, then they should contact you. You should then put up a poster outside the school advertising the same.

After a year, if no one has claimed it, you can use that 1 riyal. But if someone then does claim it, you need to give them that 1 riyal plus any profit you made from spending it.

…or you could do the sensible thing and not worry about 1 riyal as the value of it is negligible.

Jazak Allah khair for that reply. May Allah reward us all the highest level of paradise.

1 Like