Hotel Chocolat Haram income

Assalamu alaykum Ibrahim,

JzkAllahkher for posting your recent video on investing (on YouTube) it was very open, thank you. Could you please confirm how you calculated the 5% haram income limit for hotel chocolat? As they do sell chocolates with alcohol. I have checked and they do not break this income down in their annual account? JzkAllahkher
Nawaaz

1 Like

Assalamu alaykum @ibrahimkhan, would you be able to provide any guidance on this please? JzkAllahkher

1 Like

Any advice on the above please @ibrahimkhan ?

JzkAllahkher

Salaam - like any company that doesn’t give a breakdown - which are most - you have to base your assessment on the overall facts and data available. We don’t think alcohol-based chocolates would constitute 5%. But if you disagree - best to avoid.

1 Like

JzkAllahkher for your reply. As you say, there is no way to definitively know whether the 5% limit has been breached, however from personal experience (shopping in store in Bristol and online), Hotel Chocolat do seem to stock quite a few different chocolates with alcohol, so I cannot be sure.

Assalamu alaykum Ibrahim

The following link from the company shows all best sellers at Hotel Chocolat:
Best Selling Chocolate Gifts | Hampers & Boxes | Hotel Chocolat

From a total of 53 products, 10 are purely alcoholic gifts/chocolates (including a variety of bottles of alcohol). I believe a further few are chocolate boxes which include at least one alcoholic chocolate. Whilst I understand this is not a reliable way to measure the total revenue from haraam products, it can be said that at least 19% (10 out of 53) of their best selling products contain alcohol.

JzkAllahkher
Nawaaz

1 Like