Do I have to share information about my finances with my husband?

My husband refuse to pay for bills until I show him my bank account. Islamically I explained to him that he is responsible to household and even if i was a millionnaire I don’ have to chip in unless I want to which I do. But my husband is not aware of how much I spend. Because he doesn’t pay directly the bills. I own my house and he lives with me. Now that I am pregnant I stopped working and. He refuses to pay anything until I show him my account. What islam says about this. Please help. Thanks.

Waslam

May Allah bless you.

You do not have to show him anything.

He is blameworthy for refusing to pay the necessary bills.

However, Islamic rulings aside, you both should talk and find a way out to this situation without any arguments.

And Allah knows best!

2 Likes

How do you know he is blameworthy without inquiry into other facts? Is this Islamic due process?

1 Like

May Allah bless you.

There is a difference between fatwa (legal opinion) and qadha (judgment).
Legal opinion is based on the questioner’s information. Judgement is based on the assessment of facts, witnesses and testimony.
Unfortunately, IFG forum is a fatwa forum related to financial matter and not a shariah court.
Hence, the answer stands correct with the information provided by the questioner i.e. a husband refusing to provide for the wife, is blameworthy as it is a duty he must fulfill.
If the husband wants to argue for his case and seek a judgement from a shariah judge, then he is free to do so.

And Allah knows best!

4 Likes

Assalamualaikum, i am a new muslim,single mom and have plan to marry with good muslim guy next year. We agreed to share everything about finance and he wants us to put half half amount for the marriage, the house, the furniture, the car, etc. I already sent him half of my share and i have finance difficulties at the moment. When i told him about my situations, he said its not a good muslim if i didnt fullfill my commitment and Allah will get upset with me. So i ask him for help and he will do my short amount but i need to pay him back later.
I love him but i dont feel comfortable anymore because it become like a burden.
What should i do…?

1 Like

Wasalam

May Allah bless you.
In Islam, we are encouraged to fulfill our agreements. A society cannot be successful, if everything is based on deception and lack of trust.

However, from a shariah perspective, to fulfill an agreement, it must be valid to begin with.
In your scenario, you are not married to him. This arrangement he got you to agree with is meaningless. You have every right to ask him to return the money to you.
If the money has been already been used to purchase anything, then you have an ownership in the asset and can ask to liquidate your share of the asset.

And Allah knows best!

1 Like

@Mounia and @Nate_Mounia out of curiosity, are you two related to one another? it seems there is a tension between the two of you.

1 Like