Civil service jobs

Assalamu alaykum. My work is as a property surveyor and valuer for a government body where I provide property valuations and advice on land and buildings to government and local authorities for the purposes of determining liability to tax such as business rates tax, inheritance tax etc.

Business rates are used by local governments to support local public services eg street lights, roads etc.

Needed guidance in regards to the permissibility of this role please?

Assalam-o-alaikum: Can you please elaborate which part of this work you have question about? Which part you believe may not be islamically appropriate?

Thank you for your reply.

The valuations of properties I produce is relied upon by government and local authorities to support / charge local taxes such as business rates, inheritance tax, capital gains etc. As taxes are generally forbidden in Islam (I may have understood it wrong) am I therefore assisting in sin?

Wasalam

May Allah bless you.
Can you give us a bit more details on the type of advice you provide regarding lands and buildings please.

Kind regards

@Mufti_Billal we advise them on how much the land or the building is worth in it’s rental value or freehold value. There is no involvement of interest in our advice.

We simply tell them how much we think the land or building is worth based on evidence.

From what you have said, I do not see any issues with this role.

And Allah knows best!