Buying subscription boxes/ mystery bundles

Salaam all,

I have a question about buying subscription boxes or mystery bundles. I understand uncertainty/gharar is haraam, but take for example a beauty subscription box like Birchbox or Glossybox. They sell a monthly box for £10 that they guarantee will include a certain number of items of a minimum value.

Generally, over the past few months buying them for my wife, they’ve been very good value and they have revealed the items in advance, a few days before the following box. Also, they require you fill out a questionnaire beforehand stating your preferences, so it’s not completely random - it’s slightly tailored to fit your needs

Are these sorts of subscription boxes halal? There’s also similar boxes selling halal sweets/halal food or even hijabs. Assuming there’s a guarantee that it will include a certain number of items, of a specific type, and of a minimum value, does this still qualify as gharar?

Assalaamu alaykum dear brother,

Since you are paying a relatively small sum and there is a level of certainty in the items and the genre of items, it will be permissible.

The idea behind this is to give the subscribers a surprise and try different products. In fact, they give you a sneak peak of products which decreases the uncertainty. You also have 14 days to refund after the delivery, which further lessens the probability of dispute, discord or dissatisfaction.

Gharar is prohibited when it leads to dispute, discord or resentment of the outcome and the needs of the counterparties are not fulfilled. This is not the case when purchasing such products.

In conclusion, it is permissible to purchase and subscribe to this.

Allah knows best

1 Like