Being a Risk Analyst at a Retail Energy Company

As-Salaam-Alaikum,

I apologize for the long thread but I feel that I need to provide enough details.

So currently I work as a Risk Analyst at a retail Energy company. My job is to make profit and loss statements, validate trade prices, provide risk analysis for hedging strategies, trading assets, portfolio positions, load contracts, and power generation all in the Energy trading market. The Energy traders in our company use our financial information, risk analysis information, and information form other teams to make trades within the Energy market.

Now the Energy Traders in our company buy and sell energy in the energy market kind of like a stock market. This is how the company stocks up on Energy to provide to our customers when they buy it from us. The part that is bad is these traders have the ability to buy and sell Energy futures. According to my research, futures is against Shariah because you’re paying for something that is going to be delivered at a future date.

After reading the article “Is my Job Haram” by Ibrahim Khan I felt like my job was okay because of the opinion of Abu Hanifa “You are helping this individual/company in carrying out some impermissible act. But these individuals have full control over their own actions and because your role is not haram per se, it is acceptable for you to take your income for your halal job”. My job is to report and provide analysis. I do not do the future trades myself neither do I advise them on doing it, I just provide financials of the company’s position and a risk analysis; and the company makes money by selling Energy (not futures) (source of my paycheck). I would still like a second opinion on this other than my own.

Thank you very much

Wasalam

May Allah bless you.

Sorry just to clarify, did you mean LOAN or LOAD contracts?

Yes LOAD contracts, these are basically contracts that state the price per KWH for energy for our retail customers. The contracts can be signed for a term such as a one year contract at a fixed rate or a one two year contract at a variable rate depending on market rates for energy.